Monday, May 11, 2009

Tooth drama


It finally happened. My daughter lost her tooth. It's been a favorite subject of hers for quite awhile now. Approximately 7 months ago she began asking us to wiggle her tooth, saying in her slightly lisped way, "I think ith even getting loother!" We didn't have the heart to tell her that the silly thing was stuck solid. And today, after all this much anticipated time, she finally got the thing to pop out after an aggressive brushing of her teeth before school.

Her eyes filled with tears (of fear, not joy) and yelled for me to come into the bathroom from my adjacent room. Blood was oozing down her bottom lip. Before I could ask her what happened she blurted out, "My tooth fell out!" It was as if the clouds parted and the glory of heaven had shined down into our bathroom.

20 minutes later the joy turned into panic when her younger sister lost the tooth. We scoured for a while and then the same sister finally found it. She went from goat to hero in the matter of about 15 minutes.

3 hours later, #3 daughter lost the tooth again. She defended herself explaining to me that, "I was only looking at it and it just fell out of my hand." Whatever. I again looked for quite awhile knowing that if the owner of the tooth came home from school with it still missing, things could get ugly. And they did. A few hours later, she returned home and was told the sad news. There was much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth(that were still in her mouth at least).

Foolishly, I suggested that maybe we just put an I.O.U under her pillow, or maybe we draw a picture of a tooth instead for the tooth fairy. By the look in her eyes, I could see that she thought I had lost my mind. It was worth a shot I thought. However, the tooth was again discovered a few hours later and all was good with the world once more.

Hopefully the Tooth Fairy doesn't fall asleep and fail to perform his one job duty tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Thank goodness! Every time they came for the night I would go thru the motions of sticking my germ covered finger into her mouth at her insistance to give it the ole college try at wiggling it. "Favorite Aunt Cindy". Ha! More like, "Big fat liar Cindy". "Wow! It's really loose now. Should fall out any day!"

    ReplyDelete

Any questions, comments, or subjects that you'd like to see addressed, please feel free to share.